To begin with, DSL stands for Digital Subscriber Line. It converts the DSL line to an Ethernet connection and shares the wireless network directly to multiple devices. A DSL modem router is a combination device that provides you with the services of both a modem and a router.
DSL Modem allows you to connect your computer to the Internet through telephonic lines. Your DSL modem acts as a middle man between your Internet service provider and your computer, working as a data translator that connects your device to the Internet. There are various sorts of DSL technologies like HDSL, SDSL, ADSL, and VDSL. This page will help you more on factors regarding DSL modems. The main differences in these different technologies lie in their transmission rate, distance, and symmetric and asymmetric characteristics.
FACTORS TO CONSIDER BEFORE BUYING A MODEM
The positioning of a modem router plays a vital role in its effective functioning. Ideally, it should be centrally located and placed on a high shelf. Buying an expensive router might increase your range. However, a more affordable router and a couple of power-line adapters will do the job as well.
2. Lifespan of the Modem
Networking hardware has a fixed tenure, and a router is put through a lot of stress daily. Since so many devices are connected to your router, its performance over time ought to degrade. So, after a certain amount of time, you might have to upgrade or clean your router.
Routers can be priced anywhere between $15 to $200 or above. Your needs and budget will eventually decide which one’s the best for you.
4. Single or Dual-band
Routers work on two different frequency bands, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. The 2.4 GHz band is used by many devices, though it is more susceptive to congestion and interference. The 5GHz band is relatively newer and less cluttered, which offers a faster connection.
BEST 5 DSL MODEMS OF 2021
1. Actiontec CenturyLink C3000A
- The Actiontec C3000A is a device that supports universal WAN access. This single CPE can be deployed to expand new network technologies and upgrade to faster speeds seamlessly.
- The DSL Modem boasts about its smart Wi-Fi technology that allows it to automatically switch connected devices between the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequency bands.
- With pair-bonding, C3000A can provide extended reach and high bit rates of the latest bonded VDSL technology for superior experiences.
- Privacy and security are the topmost priority, and C3000A provides commercial-guide protection.
|Works with most DSL types||Slightly expensive for its features|
|Offers faster Wi-Fi than most DSL modem/routers|
2. Netgear Nighthawk D7000
- This modem has been redesigned to offer compatibility with VDSL, VDSL2, ADSL, ADSL2, and ADSL2+. It supports most of the broadband bases and fiber connections.
- This dual-band boasts hiking bandwidth over 2.4 GHz from 450 Mbps to 600 Mbps, and when combined with 5 GHz, there’s a cap of 1900 Mbps.
- In the original (US) version, you get a single USB 3.0 and another USB 2.0.
- High-powered amplifiers and antennas are added to extend your Wi-Fi coverage.
- A Gigabit Ethernet WAN port is given, which provides universal compatibility with any internet service.
|Extreme Wi-Fi speed up to 1.9 Gbps||Limited VPN support (wouldn’t be able to handle some connections)|
|NETGEAR genie app: easily manage, monitor, and control your home network from pc, tablet, or smartphone||Regularity of firmware updates required|
|Faster and more reliable connections|
3. TP-Link Archer C1200
- The Archer C1200 promises a reliable, blazing-fast network using powerful Wi-Fi technology.
- It makes use of a 2.4 GHz band for everyday tasks and 5 GH for streaming HD videos and lag-free online gaming, making it a dual-band modem.
- The Archer C1200 boasts three external antennas with advanced connection technology, allowing you to maintain impressive speeds at an expanded range.
- It also provides four built-in gigabits Ethernet ports, providing fast and stable connections to all your connected devices.
|An excellent choice for small and medium-sized apartments/firms||Fingerprint router and dust-magnet|
|Wireless networking at remarkable speed||The smartphone app can be used only when connected to the Wi-Fi|
4. D-Link DSL 2877AL
- The D-Link DSL-2877AL Dual Band wireless router uses the latest high-speed wireless technology to provide you with fast Wi-Fi speeds and an increased range. Surf the web, chat and play games at 2.4 GHz while simultaneously streaming digital media on the 5 GHz band.
- In addition to that, four fast ethernet ports are available to provide you with dependable wired performance for your media centers and gaming consoles.
- You can create a separate Guest network, which provides additional security.
- The DSL Modem supports speed up to 300 mbps+433 Mbps, so it’s capable enough to support most fiber connections. The higher end of the range supports gigabit speed as well if you have a gigabit connection.
|Good quality and high network for the price||Doesn’t include USB 3.0 ports and DLNA media server.|
|Easy to set up||Slightly lacking in terms of ethernet|
5. Motorola MD1600
- The MD1600 combines a VDSL2/ADSL2+ modem with a full-featured AC1600 Wi-Fi gigabit router, assuring you a high-speed connection to the Internet for all your devices.
- It delivers speed up to 100 Mbps for all your surfing and gaming needs.
- Compatible with significant DSL providers, including CenturyLink and Frontier.
- It includes four built-in gigabit ethernet ports.
- It boasts a dual-band network with 2*2 2.4 GHz bandwidth and a 3*3 GHz availability.
- It also supports IPv4 and IPv6 for powerful and flexible network addressing.
|High-speed Internet at an extended range||The reliability of the product can be questionable|
|Easy to set up||Not compatible with few devices|