Owning a car or a two wheeler has become a quintessential part of the modern city dwellers life. Growing population and inadequate public transportation facilities have forced people to turn to their own motor vehicles. But it is not enough if you just own a motor vehicle, to ride a motor vehicle on Indian roads you must be licensed. Yes, you must possess a driving license in India to legally take your motor vehicles on roads. Read on to find more about driving license and how to apply for a driving license in India.
Brief on Driving Licence India
Hence, if you wish to drive a motor vehicle like car or scooter on roads, you must first hold a valid driving license in India. If you are practising to drive a vehicle, you must first get a Learners License which will act as a provisional license and then must take a test to qualify for getting a Driving License. With the advent of online facilities that allow users to apply for a Driving License from the comfort of their homes, getting a driving license has become an easy task.
Types of DL in India
Depending on the class of the vehicle, Indian applicants are awarded different driving licenses. Also, the eligibility criteria varies for driving licenses pertaining to different vehicle classes. Here are some of the popular vehicle classes for which a driving license can be obtained in India.
|Motorcycles with engine capacity of 50 cc or less than 50 cc|
|Motorcycles with gear, motorcycles with a capacity of 50 cc or more, Light Motor Vehicles (LMVs) including cars|
|All Motorcycles types including Motorcycle with gear|
|Motorcycles of any cc but with no gears – including scooters and mopeds|
|Light Motor Vehicle for non transport purposes|
|Light Motor Vehicle intended for commercial purposes|
|Heavy Passenger Motor Vehicle (also referred to as All India driving permit for trucks and cars or open license)|
|Heavy Goods Motor Vehicle|
|Candidates holding a heavy vehicle driving license can apply for heavy trailer license|
Eligibility for Driving License in India
The eligibility for driving license in India depends on the class of vehicle and the type of driving license. The eligibility criteria for different permanent Driving License types in India are given below.
|Type of Permanent Driving License||Eligibility Criteria|
|Motorcycles without gear (with a capacity of up to 50 cc)||The applicant must be at least 16 years old and must have the consent of parent or guardian if he is less than 18 years old.|
|Motorcycles with gear||The applicant should be at least 18 years old.|
|Commercial Heavy Vehicles and Transport Vehicles||The applicant should have completed 8th standard. The applicant must be at least 18 years old (in some states, the minimum age limit is 20 years).|
|General Requirement||The applicant must be conversant with traffic regulations and rules. The applicant must have valid age proof and address proof documents.|
Document Required for Driving License
While applying for a driving license, the candidate must submit all documents given below. Timely submission of all necessary documents will ensure a smooth and faster driving license application process. Refer to the list given below to know what documents will be required while making an application for driving license in India.
- Age Proof (any one of the below given documents)
- Birth Certificate
- PAN Card
- 10th Class mark sheet
- Transfer certificate from any school for any class with date of birth printed on it.
- Proof of Address required for DL:
- Permanent Proof of address (any one from the following):
- Aadhaar Card
- Self-owned house agreement
- Electricity bill (issued in applicants name)
- LIC bond
- Voters ID Card
- Ration card
- Current Proof of address (any one from the following):
- Rental agreement and electricity bill
- Rental agreement and LPG bill
- Permanent Proof of address (any one from the following):
- Other Requirements for Driving Licence:
- Duly filled application form (to get the application form for driving license, visit the nearest RTO or download it from the online portal for your state)
- 6 passport sized photographs (when applying for Learners Licence)
- 1 passport sized photograph (when applying for driving licence)
- Application Fees
- If you are staying in other cities, as current address proof, you can present the rental agreement with one recent utility bill copy which can be gas bill or electric bill.
- Medical Certificate – Form 1 A and 1 which is to be issued by a certified Government doctor
- For all applicants over the age of 40 years, a Medical certificate is mandatory.
Procedure for Applying New Driving Licence Online
Applicants who are planning to apply for a new driving licence online can do it by visiting the Sarathi website of the Road Transport and Highways Ministry. Choose ‘New Driving Licence’ option from the ‘Sarathi Services’ column on the website’oter-id/verifications homepage. You will be redirected to a new page that has all the information on it. After reading through all the instructions, download the form to your computer and fill it up with the necessary details.
Online Application Process for getting Driving Licence
The process for filling out an online application for a Learner’s Licence or Driving Licence is as follows:
- Visit the Sarathi website and download the driving licence application form.
- Fill in the form as per the instructions provided on the screen and click on ‘Submit’.
- In the case of minor applicants, the form is to be printed out and Part D is to be filled out and signed by the parent/guardian at the nearest RTO.
- Upload the documents to be submitted along with the application form (proof of age, proof of address, learner’s licence number).
- A Web Application Number will be generated after submission, which can be used to track the status of the application.
- Once the application has been processed, a notification will be sent via SMS.
How to Apply for a Driving License in RTO or Offline in India?
The procedure to apply for a Driving License in India is very simple and straightforward. The steps given below will help you understand how to apply for a Driving License offline.
- The applicant has to obtain a Form 4 which is the application form for motor vehicle driving license in india. The Form can be downloaded from the state transport website. Alternatively, the customer can also visit the nearest RTO to procure Form 4.
- Completely fill the application form and submit it with other documents like age proof and address proof at the RTO in the jurisdiction in which you live. Also, schedule a slot for Driving License test at the RTO and pay the fee for taking the test.
- Be present at your Driving License test center on the specified time and date. Once you clear the test, your driving license will be awarded on the spot or will be sent to your registered address.
- Also, if you are taking driving lesson from a Driving school, the school will help you apply for a driving license.
Format of Driving Licence in India:
The driving licence in India has a format. Let us understand this particular format by using an appropriate example:
Let us say that you stay in Bangalore and the vehicle you own has the license plate number KA-01-2009-0004558 (reference use only).
- The first two characters KA indicate the state where the vehicle is registered. In this example, it is Karnataka.
- 01 is the city code.
- 2009 is the year when the license was printed and given to the user.
- The following digits form the unique identification number for the user.
Test Procedure for Driving License in India
You must undergo a driving license which will test your driving skills and knowledge on road rules & signals and pass the test to get your driving license. Here are some of the important points regarding the driving license test procedure in India.
- You can apply for a permanent Driving License after 30 days from the date of issuance of Learners License. The application for permanent Driving License must be filed within 180 days from the issue date of Learners License.
- Submit all relevant documents (including driving license test slot booking slip if you have booked the slot online) and pay the fees for taking the Driving License test at the designated counter. Get the receipt and approach the allotted track cabin to take the test.
- You must be present in person for the Driving License test at least an hour before the allotted time. You will have to take a test before or along with the Motor Vehicle Inspector (MVI) at the designated track.
- Different states have different test tracks and procedures. Generally, for two wheelers, you will be asked to drive a two wheeler in a path designed in shape of number 8. Also, the Motor Vehicle Inspector will check if you are using indicators and relevant hand signals while driving. You will have to trace the shape of number 8 in your vehicle without your legs touching the ground.
- For a four wheeler driving license, the Motor Vehicle Inspector will ask you to ride the car in a track and will note your skills. You must show proper hand signals, use the indicator and apply brakes wherever necessary. Also, shift the gears smoothly and use side & rear view mirrors while driving.
How long does it take to get the Driving Licence after passing the test ?
To avail a driving licence test, you must follow a certain procedure:
- You must fill the online form and take an appointment at the RTO office for your learning test. A few multiple choice questions will be asked during your test at the RTO. You will find a wide range of questions on the website, which might be asked during your learning license test. Once you pass that test, you will receive a receipt. With this receipt, you will have to collect your learning licence.
- After one month has passed from the date of issuance of your learning license, you will have to take an appointment for a driving test. During this test, the questions that will be asked will be related to the vehicle for which you are getting the license (two wheeler/four wheeler). Once you pass this exam too, you will get a receipt. This particular receipt will serve as your driving licence till the time you receive the real driving license by speed post.
What to do if your Driving Licence is Lost ?
Every driver in India needs to have a driving license. Without this document you are not allowed to drive in the country. If you lose your driving license, you will have to apply for a duplicate one to be able to drive.
Things to do if you lost your Driving Licence:
- Go to the police station that has jurisdiction over the area where you lose your driving licence.
- Lodge a complaint and make sure you get a copy of the First Information Report (FIR).
- Visit the Notary office to get an affidavit on a stamped paper. The affidavit will act as a proof that you took an oath before the concerned officer (executive magistrate/notary public/first class judicial magistrate) that your license is lost.
You will have to pay a small fee for the notary service and the stamped paper.
International Driving Permit (IDP) in India
An international Driving License is issued to a resident Indian who holds a valid Indian Driving License. An international driving permit (IDP) allows an Indian citizen to drive motor vehicle in a foreign country. The international driving permit (IDP) has multiple language translation of the existing driving license and is similar to a passport in appearance. Though the process for obtaining an IDP varies from state to state, the general process flow is mentioned below.
The application process for an international driving license varies from state to state. Do get in touch with the nearest RTO or your State Transport department to know the complete application process and the list of documents required.
Why do you need a Driving License in India?
Apart from the fact that a person must hold a driving license to legally drive a motor vehicle in India, the uses of a driving license are many. Here are some of the reasons as to why you need a driving license in India.
- Important Document of Personal Identification
Often, while travelling or visiting a pub, you are asked to display an ID. At this point, most of us conveniently reach into our wallets to pull our driving licences. So, another rather important purpose which a driving licence fulfils is as a widely recognized form of personal identification. Among other documents like passports, PAN cards, Voter ID Cards, Aadhar Cards, driving licences too are a widely accepted form of personal identification.
- Make Commuting Easier
Commuting these days is an extremely stressful activity. Using public transport might not be everyones cup of tea. Also, owning a vehicle provides you with the freedom of being mobile, as and when you need. Considering that, if you wish to purchase a car or motorbike to commute, you will need to obtain a driving licence prior to doing so.
- Compulsory Legal Requirement
If you wish to drive, in India or even abroad, you are required to hold a valid driving licence to do so. A driving licence is an important document indicating your ability to operate or drive a motorised vehicle.
FAQs on Driving Licence
- How do I start the application process for driving license?
First of all, you must hold a valid Learners License to be able to apply for a driving license. To apply for a driving license, you can get in touch with the Regional Transport Office for your area. Alternatively, you can also visit the online portal for the Transport Department of your state or city to get more details on driving license application process.
- Suppose I get a driving license in bangalore, will it be valid throughout India?Yes, a driving license obtained in any RTO in India is valid throughout the country.
- What is the validity period for a Driving License in India?
Generally, in India, driving licenses are valid for 20 years from the date of issue or till the holder attains 50 years of age, whichever comes earlier. A driving license for commercial vehicles is valid for up to three years.
- Should I produce a medical certificate to obtain a driving license in India?
If you are under 50 years of age and if you are applying for non – transport license, you do not require a medical license. But, applicants over 50 years of age must produce medical certificate. Similarly, applicants of Transport vehicle License must produce medical certificate irrespective of age.
- What happens if I fail the driving license test?In case you fail the driving license test, you can apply for a re test after 7 days.